Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Healthier Banana Bread


I love to bake and was fully appalled when I realized that I have never made a fresh loaf of banana bread. Probably because my husband and I typically only crave baked goods that are dripping in chocolate, but those extra ripe bananas on my counter were crying to be made into a glorious loaf.

I could have easily added chocolate chips (and probably would have if I had any!), but throwing a handful of pecans into the mix gave a beautiful crunch along side the super moist bread. (I hate the word moist, but it's really the only description!!!)




Since I knew I am the only one in the house who will eat this (Matt and bananas are not friends), I made extra effort to find a healthier alternative that I wouldn't feel guilty about having a couple slices of. I found a great recipe HERE that involves no refined sugar and uses coconut oil and whole wheat flour. Since I didn't have any whole wheat flour on hand, I tweaked it just a tad by combining All Purpose flour + Almond flour. The results are a perfectly delicious banana bread! Throw some butter on top and the angels in heaven sing. 




My favorite part is the cinnamon swirl on top! And see that crack on the top of the loaf? That means it's perfect :)





It's not overly sweet and will be PERFECT in the morning with a hot cup of coffee. And maybe in the afternoon with some hot tea. Or even for dinner. And after dinner.

 I may be a banana bread newbie, but I don't think I will look any further for an amazing recipe




Healthier Banana Bread 

Adapted from Cookieandkate.com


INGREDIENTS

 1⁄3 cup melted coconut oil
1⁄2 cup maple syrup
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2
1⁄2 medium or 2 large bananas) 
1⁄4 cup almond milk
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
3⁄4 Cup + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
3⁄4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
• OPTIONAL:
1⁄2 cup mix-ins! (chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate
chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit, ect)

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan
2.  In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup together with a whisk 

3.  Add the eggs and beat well
4. Whisk in the mashed bananas and almond milk. (Your coconut oil

may solidify when it comes into contact with cold ingredients! Microwave for 10 seconds t a time, or let bowl sit on warm surface like the heating oven!)
5.  Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend
6.  With a large wooden spoon, stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok! If you're adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now
7.  Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. To get a pretty swirled effect, run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern
8.  Bake for 55 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (The more mix-ins you have, the longer it may take to bake.)

Enjoy!!

xx Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment